Career Decisions – how parents and carers can help
Young people in Key Stage 4 need to make important decisions about what they do after Year 11 to build for the future. Support from their families is an important part of this process. Some young people are already very clear about how they see their future; some may take longer to consider a range of options.
Professional Career Information, Advice and Guidance is available to students in the Academy. A fully qualified independent Careers Adviser, Sue Bullen Dip CG, is available on Wednesdays to offer confidential careers interviews and enable students to make realistic and achievable career planning decisions.
Parents and carers can help in numerous ways, especially during Years 10 and 11.
- Give your child time: allow them to talk about and explore their thoughts and ideas about their future
- Support them to actively research potential career choices *
- Take them to Sixth Form and College Course Information Events through the year to evaluate options
- As soon as they are clear about what they would like to do, encourage them to apply
* Key Stage 4 students can use KUDOS, a careers software programme to help them assess their interests and match them against possible jobs
Open Events – check dates online
Bournemouth and Poole College www.thecollege.co.uk
Brockenhurst College www.brock.ac.uk
Kingston Maurward College www.kmc.ac.uk
A list of school Sixth Forms in Poole can be found at:
Some Sixth Forms have early application dates, so check their websites for details.
Applications may be made any time from September onwards in Year 11.
If you as a parent or carer would like to speak to the Careers Adviser, please leave a message with the academy and we will contact you.
Sue Bullen Dip CG Independent Careers Adviser