Career Decisions – Students what you can do to help shape your future?
Over the course of your time here at the Academy you will need to actively engage in your future options.
It’s never too early to think about careers. Your future begins in Year 7 not Year 11. It is better to think about it now before it’s too late.
You will need to find answers to a range of questions and these questions will be different depending on what year you are in.
Find your student careers plan here: Student careers plan
How can parents and carers can help
Young people in Key Stage 4 need to make important decisions about what they do after Year 11 to build for the future. Support from their families is an important part of this process. Some young people are already very clear about how they see their future; some may take longer to consider a range of options.
Professional Career Information, Advice and Guidance is available to students in the Academy. A fully qualified independent Careers Adviser is available to students over the course of the academic year. Confidential careers interviews and enable students to make realistic and achievable career planning decisions.
Parents and carers can help in numerous ways, especially during Years 10 and 11.
- Give your child time: allow them to talk about and explore their thoughts and ideas about their future
- Support them to actively research potential career choices *
- Take them to Sixth Form and College Course Information Events through the year to evaluate options
- As soon as they are clear about what they would like to do, encourage them to apply
* Key Stage 4 students can use KUDOS, a careers software programme to help them assess their interests and match them against possible jobs
Open Events – check dates online
Bournemouth and Poole College www.thecollege.co.uk
Brockenhurst College www.brock.ac.uk
Kingston Maurward College www.kmc.ac.uk
A list of school Sixth Forms in Poole can be found at:
Some Sixth Forms have early application dates, so check their websites for details.
Applications may be made any time from September onwards in Year 11.